Asset Based Community Development (ABCD) is a framework that values all available local assets as the foundation of sustainable community development. ABCD considers the existing strengths, skills, and resources of local people, local religious and cultural organizations, local private and public institutions in developing stronger and sustainable micro and macro community projects, in building communities, in creating effective citizens, in empowering individuals and in promoting social activism.
At the end of this ABCD workshop, Philippine Youth Leadership Program (PYLP) participants will be able to do the following:
- Identify and evaluate assets in their respective communities specifically the following: a) local religious and cultural organizations: churches, mosque, Balikatan, Kabataang Barangay, etc.; b) private and public institutions: parks, hospitals and clinics, banks, restaurants, schools, municipality, police department, business establishments, local government offices; and c) local people: youth, adults, local public officials, local business owners, local religious leaders, artists, etc;
- Examine and describe their community and compare it with other communities;
- Organize assets in relation to their own communities and write a summary of these assets
Activities during the workshop will include but not limited to the following;
- Analyze and summarize the environmental scans of their communities, set priorities, visually illustrate findings in a flowchart, and summarize these findings in a small group
- Individually, identify, brainstorm and evaluate local assets in Philippine communities using data flow diagram worksheets per local asset
- Examine case studies using YouTube videos and sample scenarios and determine specific ways in which relationships can be built between community organizers and local institutions/local people in sustaining community development work
- Collaborate with other participants to classify, distinguish and tabulate effective assets in their respective community using scaffolding and problem-solving activities
- Create a model of a community using mini structures, Legos, 3D materials, etc. on a simulated miniature diorama.
Themes: Civic Education, Community Service, Social Responsibility
Youth Leadership Development